Thursday, September 15, 2011

The Great Flood

Well, we survived.

We had no power for several days. We would run the generator long enough to cool the refrigerator, and while it ran, we'd get online and send reassuring emails to our families.

We're not likely to forget September 2011.

September 7, 2011. Debbie wrote to Steve at work:

"Croom Station flooded!"
"Croom Rd too!  Heading to Molly Berry!"
"Molly Berry flooded, too!"
"Duley Station to Croom is OK."
"NOT! Croom closed at store!"

September 8, 2011. Steve wrote to work,

"I am not likely to be coming in today.

"Between Upper Marlboro and Waldorf, approx 15 miles, there are TWO small roads which are still barely passable. If I come to work, with the expected weather, I will not be getting home.

"301 is closed. Brandywine Rd is closed. Croom Rd is closed. Croom Station is closed. Molly Berry is closed. It's a royal mess.

"Plus, I have water on the floor of my basement. Not much, but enough to make MY day complete."

September 9, 2011. Steven wrote to his sister:

"Hey, happy birthday, Sis!

"No doubt, I would have remembered yesterday if I hadn't been distracted by the power being out, and by being almost trapped in our neighborhood by the flooding.

"Yes, I'm sure I would have remembered.

"After Debbie reminded me the next day."

No comments:

Post a Comment